There are two important considerations when hiring a caregiving company: 1) what are their values; what guides their approach to providing care; and 2) practically speaking, can they meet my needs. What follows are the nuts and bolts of being able to meet your needs:
This is the ultimate people business. It’s about clients’ needs and their families’ needs, and caregivers and their ability to meet those needs. How can you determine that before you hire a firm?
- How long has the firm been operating? Generally speaking, the longer the firm has been around, the more and better caregivers they have access to. They are better at recognizing the qualities of great caregivers, and more experienced dealing with the very personal idiosyncrasies of each of our families. Experienced firms know the critical importance of checking references and the qualifications of every staff member hired. We have been operating since 2002 and have approximately 110 caregivers, PSWs and RPNs. We get it.
- Can you speak to the boss or owner anytime you need to? I can be reached at 416 994 6096 ext. #1, anytime, day or night. Your needs are personal and I understand that deeply. If you need to talk to me – call me.
- Does the firm have sufficient back up staff for when unexpected changes occur? Caregivers have unexpected last minute emergencies. Clients ask for last minute shift changes. Maybe there is a bad fit between the caregiver and the person receiving care. A firm must be ready for these changes. You have to be able to reach us fast (call me) and we must respond fast. We, like most firms, are reachable 24/7. We have over 110 staff who are employees, not contractors.
- Do they ask the right questions when assessing your needs? We believe that it all starts with our teams’ understanding what your goals for care are – and how we can help. Every family is different. Every client is different and respecting those differences, above all else, is where we start. Our commitment and approach are deeply important to us – please read them.
- What is the hourly cost? Private caregivers can be very costly regardless of the firm you use. Prices generally vary from $25/hr to $30/hr. Depending on whether you need by-the-hour care or live-in care, rates differ. By-the-hour care is $26.25 to $28.25 per hour (with a 4 hour minimum per shift). Live-in care is $295 to $395 per day. Please call and after a brief discussion we will be able to give you a price for your family’s needs.
- What about hiring a caregiver or PSW directly? Most of us know a nanny or caregiver who will work for cash or who you can hire directly. In some cases this can save you money – but the trade-offs are rarely worth it. If you are paying their taxes and CPP, EI, WSIB etc…, as required by law, then the savings is quite small. They won’t be insured or bonded, and if they leave, they are not quickly and confidently replaced. Most importantly, care for seniors needs trained, well vetted individuals who truly are a good fit and the best way to find that person is through a firm who has 100 to choose from and can find that great fit. In most cases, a client’s care needs change as their situation changes and the care plan and team usually needs to change as well. The best way to do this effectively and with some peace of mind, is to use a trusted professional.